Comics I plan to buy:
- Superboy: The Greatest Team-Ups Ever Told TPB, on sale Jan. 20, $20
Comics I might consider buying:
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold #12, on sale Dec. 16, $2.50
- Tiny Titans #23, on sale Dec. 16, $2.50
- Batman this month offers an “80 page giant” special, a format published by DC in the 1960s and 70s that featured mostly reprints of previous stories (or the occasional new story with a bunch of reprints as backups). In this case, it’s all-new stories about Gotham City caught in a snowstorm. Given the tone of modern Bat-books, however, I’ll easily bet the contents of my piggy bank it’s just another typical grim-fest (especially if the Joker’s in it, though he’s not listed as a character specifically appearing…). Though admittedly it’s the first title I scanned by on the list that didn’t have the word “black” (per “Blackest Night”, the megacrossover-du-jour) in its description…
- I assume the two folks on “Superman: Secret Origins” #4′s cover are some newly-revamped versions of Jor-El and Lara (redrawn to resemble the Christopher Reeve film versions)? IIRC, both were A) young when Krypton went “boom” and B) black-haired like their son in pretty much every version *except* for the films (but Hollyweird’s like that)…
- A DC holiday comic special coming out, with what I assume (from the writers listed) are all-new stories. Amusing cover (Batman not thrilled by the looks of what happened to that “Bat-snowman”…).
- A Superboy trade paperback… cool! Wonder if this means they’ve resolved (or will soon resolve) the insipid rights dispute over the Boy of Steel (given the modern Superboy is back in action). The issues coming out include various 60s-era stories (including IIRC the Silver Age Luthor’s origin story, which is *NOT* just “Supes made Lex bald”), plus a story from the 80s Superboy run (IIRC the issue where Clark meets a teenaged Hal Jordan).
- “Batman: Brave and the Bold” is described as “a very special Final Christmas issue”—is this title getting axed already? Or just a “this may be the *last* Christmas ever for Batman!” pitch?
- “Super Friends” is also a Christmas issue (with Yet Another Holiday-themed Cover).
- Nice “Looney Tunes” cover (though a month late, per Election Day being in November).